Up-Down Plank drills are great for developing your core strength. Core strength is essential for endurance during a fast-paced rugby game. A solid core also helps to prevent injuries.
Up-Down Plank in 6 steps:
1. Get into plank push-up position on the ground.
2. Keeping your body straight and off the floor, bend and lower your left forearm until your left forearm-to-your-elbow meets the floor.
3. Bend and lower your right forearm until your right forearm-to-your-elbow meets the floor.
4. Push up the left arm back up into push-up stance keeping the right forearm still on the floor.
5. Push up the left arm back up into a push-up stance.
6. Repeat by starting from the right side first then the left with steps 2 – 5.
Many elite rugby players often add a push-up between switching sides when they return to the top push-up stance.
Get to it NOW.
REMEMBER: Before starting any new exercise routines please check with your medical provider and clear your new exercise plan with them before beginning. This is especially true if you haven’t been exercising for some time or are recovering from an injury. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on T.V.
Need help getting started towards your power rugby fitness goals?
The Powerhouse Rugby weekly newsletter seeks to supply you with the top rugby fitness drills, nutritional suggestions, and advice from coaches and players to help make your rugby goals a reality.
When you sign up for the newsletter, we’ll send you our free training guide and workout tracker which includes this exercise drill and more.
Click on the image to the left to sign up today!